Is your printer compatible with your new Chromebook?
This doubt arises when users buy new printers, but find that their Chromebook is not compatible with them.
Many users have reported this issue, but in today’s article, we will explore some troubleshooting techniques to resolve this compatibility issue.
- As most Chrome users know, Chromebooks are exclusively based on browsers, so you can’t print directly from them.
- To print documents from your Chromebook, you need to use a Google Cloud Print-ready printer.
Reinstall the HP printer software
- Press the Windows key + X and select Apps & Features.
- Select the HP printer software and click on Uninstall.
- Restart your PC and reinstall the software.
Repair the HP printer software
- Users are reporting the HP printer software not working on Chromebook issue is resolved when they reset the printer software. To reset the HP printer software, open the HP printer software.
- Then, click HP Printer Setup & Software.
- Press the Go back button.
- Click the HP LaserJet printer icon.
- Press the Restore software & drivers button.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the HP printer software reset.
- Check if the HP printer now works on your Chromebook.
- If the problem persists, try uninstalling the HP printer software and then reinstalling it.
- Restart your Chromebook after that.
Change HP printer settings
- To print on Chromebook, you need to enable HP Smart Print function. To do this, open the HP Printer software on your PC and select Preferences. Now select Printing Preferences from the navigation menu.
- Find and check Smart Printing. Alternatively, you can enable Smart Printing by selecting System Preferences.
- Once enabled, your printer will be compatible with Chromebook.
- Check whether your printer’s IP address is static or dynamic.
- If it is dynamic, the IP address will change if you reset the router. It is advised to set up static IP address for your printer.
- Check the port settings of your printer on Chromebook.
- If your printer is sharing the same port as your router, you may have to change the port setup to â€ ̃static’.
- Change the TCP/IP settings on your printer.
- Connect your printer to the PC using the USB cable.
- Open Windows Control Panel -> select Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on the printer icon -> select Printer properties.
- Select Ports tab -> click on the Advanced button.
- Select TCP/IP Properties.
- Select Use the following IP address option -> put the IP address of your PC in the IP Address box.
- In the Subnet Mask box, type 255.255.255.0.
- In the Default Gateway box, type the IP address of your router.
- Save all changes.