Some users have encountered an additional error when external hard drive: Troubleshooting Guide”>ejecting external hard drives. When trying to eject the drive, an error message appears: Eject fail, device busy.
Incomplete ejection can cause a variety of issues, including corrupted files, system crashes, and external drive errors”>file system errors.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to troubleshoot the eject error when trying to eject an external hard drive in Windows 10.
- External hard drives provide a lot of space, which makes them very useful.
- However, they can fail, which is why you need to know a few ways to repair them.
- For any other storage-related issues, check out our Storage section.
- For more general troubleshooting guides, check out our Fix section.
Run an SFC scan
- Press Windows + S hotkey, type cmd, and select Run as administrator under Command prompt.
- Type this command and press Enter: sfc /scannow
- Wait for the process to finish, and restart Windows.
Run an SFC scan with DISM
- Press Windows Key + S, enter cmd, and select Run as Administrator under Command prompt.
- When Command prompt opens, enter the following command and press Enter: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Wait until the scan is finished (it may take a while), and then try ejecting the external hard drive again.
Download an ISO file
- Place it on an external hard drive.
- Power on the external drive.
- Make sure that the green light is steady, and not blinking.
- Wait for the Disk Utility window to open.
- Go to the First Aid tab.
- Click Run.
- Wait for the process to finish.
Reset the partition table
- Right-click on the drive and select Manage.
- Click Tools > Restore.
Clean Reinstall Windows 10
- Disconnect and reconnect the external hard drive
- Run the CHKDSK /f /r command
- Reset to Factory Defaults
- Update or Upgrade your External Hard Drive
How do I use Disk Management?
- Click the Start button.
- Type disk management.
- Click Disk Management from the list of results.
- Right-click the storage device and select Eject.