XPS Viewer is a Microsoft program that allows users to view and print XPS (XML Paper Specification) files.
XPS Viewer is included with Windows, but some users have encountered this error when trying to open XPS documents:
> The XPS Viewer cannot be used to open this file.
XPS Viewer doesn’t open certain XPS documents, so in this article, we explore a few potential resolutions to this error.
- The XPS Viewer extension error can occur for many different reasons.
- Most of the time this is caused by outdated or corrupted software.
- To fix it, try uninstalling and reinstalling the XPS Viewer extension.
- You can also ensure that your XPS Viewer is up to date and functioning optimally.
Disable the XPS Viewer extension
- Press the Windows key, type browser, and select Google Chrome.
- On the browser’s address bar, enter chrome://extensions/, and click the Go button.
- Now, click the Disable button.
- Relaunch Google Chrome to test if it is working.
Disable the XPS Viewer
- Press the Windows key + S, type control panel, and select Control Panel from the list of results.
- Click the View by option from the top.
- Click on Large icons, select Programs, and then click XPS Viewer.
- Click Uninstall.
- Restart your PC.
- Enable the XPS Viewer
Run the XPS Viewer troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key + S, type troubleshoot in the search box, and click on the relevant search result to open it.
- Select XPS Viewer from the list of troubleshooters.
- Click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Enable the XPS Viewer extension
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\XPSViewer
- Locate the file XPSViewer.config and right click it.
- Select the Properties option.
- Under the General tab, click the Edit button.
- Check the Allow XPS Viewer Service to Start option.
- Click the OK button to save changes.
Reinstall the XPS Viewer extension
- Press Windows + S to open the Search menu, enter Extension in the text field at the top, and click on the relevant search result.
- Locate XPS Viewer in the list of Extensions, right-click on it, and select Uninstall.