One user stated on Microsoft Answers, How can I reset my Windows 7 laptop?
> I accidentally deleted some files from my C drive, and now my files have > disappeared. Here’s how it happened:
> I was copying some files to an external hard drive, and I accidentally > deleted some files from my C drive, as well as the external hard drive. I > checked, and the C drive and the external hard drive have files, but nothing > is on my C drive.
Follow the steps in this article to fully reset your laptop.
- If your laptop is frozen, you can factory reset it to return it to its factory state.
- This guide will show you how to factory reset your laptop, step by step.
- Visit our Laptops Hub for more articles on this topic.
- For more Windows-related solutions, check out our Windows 10 Errors Hub.
Disconnect all external devices
- Turn off the laptop
Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds
Release the power button
- Connect an external monitor to the laptop
Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
Release the power button
Turn off fast startup
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power options. Select Power & sleep settings from the list of results.
- Click Choose what the power button does.
- Locate the Shutdown settings section and deselect Turn on fast startup (recommended). Now click Save changes.
Perform a Clean boot
- To perform a clean boot, open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows key and R.
- Enter msconfig and click OK to open System Configuration.
- Select the Services tab shown directly below.
- Select the Hide All Microsoft Services option.
- Select the Disable All option on the Startup tab.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Restart Windows 10 after closing the System Configuration utility.
Run SFC and DISM
- To run SFC, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Type cmd in the Run box and click OK to open the Command prompt as an administrator.
- Input the sfc /scannow command, and press the Return key.
- Then input the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command.
- Press the Return key again to run DISM.
Create a new user account
- Create a new user account on your desktop. You can do this by pressing the Windows key, typing User Accounts, and clicking it from the results.
- Click Add an account.
- Click either Add a user without a Microsoft account or Add a user with a Microsoft account.
- Enter the desired username, password, and an optional display picture.
- Select the checkbox to agree to the Microsoft Account Agreement, click the Sign In button, and press the Next button.
Turn off system restore
Press the Windows key + R key on your keyboard, type control, and
- Go to System and Security.
- Click System Restore.
- Select Show more restore points.
- Select a restore point and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to finish the process.