Looking for a way to make Adobe your default PDF viewer in Windows 10? Look no further! In this article, we’ll show you how to make the switch in just a few simple steps.
Set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the Default PDF Viewer in Windows 10
To set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default PDF viewer in Windows 10, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Start button and select “Settings” (the cog icon).
2. On the Windows Settings page, click on “Apps”.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Default apps”.
4. Under the “Default apps” section, click on “Choose default apps by file type“.
5. Scroll down the list until you find “.pdf” and click on the current default program.
6. In the pop-up window that appears, click on the drop-down list and select “Adobe Acrobat Reader”.
7. If Adobe Acrobat Reader is not listed, click on “More apps” at the bottom of the list and select it from there.
8. Close the window and Adobe Acrobat Reader will now be set as the default PDF viewer for your device.
By setting Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default PDF viewer, you’ll have a more seamless user experience when viewing and printing PDFs on your Windows 10 device. This simple change can improve your overall productivity and streamline your workflow.
How to Install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on Windows 10
To make Adobe Acrobat Reader DC your default PDF viewer in Windows 10, follow these steps:
1. Download and install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from the Adobe website.
2. Click the Start button and open the Settings app.
3. Click on Apps, then navigate to the Default apps page.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Set defaults by app” option.
5. On the right-hand side of the screen, find Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and click on it.
6. Click on “Choose defaults for this program” to select the file types you want to associate with Adobe Reader.
7. Use the scroll bar to navigate to the PDF file type and click the box to the left of it.
8. Click the “Save” button to set Adobe Reader as your default PDF viewer.
By following these steps, you can ensure that all PDFs you open on your Windows 10 device will be displayed and printed using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, improving your user experience and ensuring that you have access to all the functionality of the Adobe PDF program.
Change Your Default PDF Viewer for Your Browser to Adobe Acrobat Reader
To make Adobe Acrobat Reader your default PDF viewer in Windows 10, follow these simple steps.
First, open the Windows Settings by clicking on the cog icon in the Start menu. Then, select “Apps” on the left-hand side and click on “Default apps” at the bottom of the column.
Next, scroll down until you find the “PDF” option and click on it. You’ll see a drop-down list of programs that can open PDF files.
To set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default, click on the app that’s currently listed and then select “Adobe Acrobat Reader” from the list of available programs.
If you don’t see Adobe Acrobat Reader in the list, you may need to download and install it from Adobe’s website. Once you’ve made the change, all PDF files will automatically open in Adobe Acrobat Reader when you double-click on them.
This simple tweak will save you time and improve your viewing and printing experience with PDF documents.
# Import the os and winreg modules
# Define the file type and application to be associated
file_type = ".pdf"
app_path = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
# Open the registry key for file type associations
with winreg.OpenKey(winreg.HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\" + file_type, 0, winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE) as key:
# Set the default application for the file type
winreg.SetValue(key, "Progid", winreg.REG_SZ, "AcroExch.Document")
# Open the registry key for application associations
with winreg.OpenKey(winreg.HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociaions\FileAssociations", 0, winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE) as key:
# Set the default application for the file type
winreg.SetValue(key, "." + file_type, winreg.REG_SZ, "AcroExch.Document")
# Open the registry key for executable file associations
with winreg.OpenKey(winreg.HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Applications\AcroRd32.exeshellopencommand", 0, winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE) as key:
# Set the default executable for the application
winreg.SetValue(key, None, winreg.REG_SZ, '"' + app_path + '" "%1"')
Please note that this code is only for illustrative purposes and may not work exactly as written. Additionally, modifying registry keys can be risky and may cause unintended consequences, so it is important to use caution and make backups before making any changes.
How to Change Your Default PDF Viewer in Windows 10 Settings and Context Menu
- Open the Windows 10 “Settings” app.
- Select “Apps” from the list of options.
- Click on “Default apps” located on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Scroll down and click on “Choose default apps by file type.”
- Locate the “.pdf” file type and click on the current default app listed.
- Select “Adobe Acrobat Reader DC” from the list of available apps.
- If Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is not listed, click on “More apps” and select it from the list.
- Close the “Settings” app.
- Right-click on any PDF file.
- Select “Open with” and then click on “Choose another app.”
- Locate and select “Adobe Acrobat Reader DC”.
- Check the box that says “Always use this app to open .pdf files.”
- Click “OK.”