Private search engines are used to enhance the browsing experience. Nevertheless, users reported errors while trying to add a private search engine to their list.
In this article, we will explore a couple of troubleshooting steps for Private Search Engines List errors.
- Private search engines can be accessed via your browser, and they provide a safer browsing experience.
- Private search engines list errors in Chrome and Firefox can be caused by add-ons or extensions.
Use a dedicated program
- Some users have reported success after using a dedicated program to launch private search engines.
Download this private search engine software.
- Then open the program with your default browser.
Check the Windows update
- Go to Settings and click on Update & Security tab.
- Now, select the Windows Update tab.
- Check for new updates.
- Run Windows Defender Security Center
- Run a full system scan
Modify the Registry
- To disable the error, you should modify the Registry.
- To do so, type regedit in the search bar and open Registry Editor.
- Now, in the right pane, navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSearch.
- Right-click on the Search key and choose Permissions.
- Now, in the Permissions window, check the Allow permission for Everyone.
- Finally, exit the Registry Editor and restart your PC.
Modify the SearchEngines.xml file
- Press the Windows Key + R and type regedit.
- Hit Enter or click OK. The Registry Editor window will now appear.
- Navigate to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSearchProviders
- Now, right-click the Search Providers folder and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it SearchProviders.
- Right-click the newly created DWORD and select Modify.
- Set the Value Data to 1, and then click OK.
Modify the Hosts file
- Open Windows Search and type Command prompt. Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
- Now enter the following command and hit Enter:
- Locate the line that begins with 127.0.0.1 and change it to match the IP address of your VPS.