Modern desktops and laptops use SATA-based SSDs, but a new type of SSD called Optane is changing the way we think about storage and memory.
When is it too early to buy an Optane SSD? According to Intel Optane SSDs will first become available in March 2018.
Intel Optane SSDs are a new class of storage that uses 3D XPoint technology and can be up to 10 times faster than standard SSDs.
Optane SSDs are a new class of storage that uses 3D XPoint technology and can be up to 10 times faster than standard SSDs.
Intel Optane SSDs will first be available in March 2018.
- Optane is a revolutionary new technology that replaces the traditional hard drive of your PC with super-fast solid-state memory.
- Optane is not a replacement for RAM, but you can use it to increase the overall RAM of your PC.
- Optane works exclusively with Windows 10, and it supports all 64-bit processors.
Perform a Clean Boot
- Press Windows key + R and enter msconfig. Now, press Enter or click OK.
- When the System Configuration window opens, navigate to the Services tab.
- Locate the Hide all Microsoft services option and click the Disable button. Now, click the Apply and OK buttons.
- Once the services are disabled, restart your PC.
Run the troubleshooter
- To do that, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Enter â€ ̃troubleshoot’ in the search box.
- Click Troubleshoot settings to open that tab within Settings.
- Click the Additional troubleshooters option.
- Select the Troubleshoot problems with memory option.
- Then press the Run the troubleshooter button.
Update the BIOS
- Push F2 to enter BIOS.
- In the BIOS, navigate to the Memory Configuration section.
- Select Memory Configuration and set the RAM Frequency to X (X is the frequency your PC supports).
- Save the BIOS changes and exit BIOS.
- Update your motherboard’s USB BIOS
Download the latest USB BIOS update for the motherboard.
- Extract the zip file to a folder.
- Open the folder, then right-click on the USB BIOS update file and select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and tick the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Choose Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 from the drop down list.
- Select Run this program as an administrator.
- Press the Apply and OK buttons.
- Connect the USB adapter to your PC.
- Open the Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
- Right-click on your USB controller and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Browse to the USB BIOS update folder and select the file named USB_KB888111.inf
- Finally, click on the Next button to install the driver on your PC.
Update USB drivers
- Download Intel Optane Memory Install Utility
Download the Intel “Intel Optane Memory Performance Toolkit
Run the Intel Optane Memory Performance Toolkit
Save the report as “Optane_Performance_Toolkit_Report.txt”