Dell Inspiron is one of the best-selling laptops on the market with great software and overall performance.
However, many users reported that their webcam is not working on their laptop.
Consequently, the webcam will only record a gray screen.
- If your laptop won’t recognize the webcam, it might be the webcam itself.
- To fix the problem, try to update the drivers for your webcam using a dedicated tool.
- Another way to solve this problem is to update the BIOS of your laptop.
Remove the webcam driver
- First, restart your desktop or laptop.
- Next, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter devmgmt.msc in the Run window, and click the OK button.
- Double-click the Imaging Devices entry to expand it.
- Then right-click the webcam driver and select Uninstall device from the context menu.
- Press the Enter key.
- Restart your desktop or laptop.
Update the webcam and Dell display driver
- Press Windows + X keys and select Device Manager.
- Navigate to webcam section and double click on the drivers.
- Click Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
Reinstall the webcam drivers
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate the camera option and double-click it.
- If the camera option isn’t listed, you need to reinstall the webcam driver. To do that, open the Search bar, enter device manager, and open it.
- Now locate the camera driver, right-click on it, and choose Uninstall device.
- After the uninstalling process is finished, restart your PC.
Disable the webcam
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app, and select Privacy & Security.
- Go to the Camera option, and click on the slider to disable it.
Roll back the driver version
- Right-click Start.
- Select Device Manager.
- Expand the Imaging Devices.
- Right-click the device and select Uninstall device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.